New Delhi, Jan 15: Indian Army Day is celebrated on January 15th every year to commemorate the day in 1949 when Field Marshal K. M. Cariappa took over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief of India.
This historic event marked the transition of the Indian Army from British command to Indian leadership.
The day is celebrated to honor the soldiers of the Indian Army who have displayed exceptional courage and dedication in the service of the nation. It is an occasion to pay tribute to the soldiers who have made supreme sacrifices to safeguard the integrity and sovereignty of the country.
On Indian Army Day, various events and parades are organized across the country to showcase the military prowess, discipline, and achievements of the Indian Army. The day is an opportunity to instill a sense of pride and patriotism among the citizens of the country and to express gratitude towards the soldiers for their selfless service.
Here are some quotes to celebrate Indian Army Day 2024:
- "Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it; it flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it."
- "Soldiers are not just defending the borders; they are also ensuring that the spirit of the nation remains untarnished."
- "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it."
- "The Indian Army is a symbol of discipline, dedication, and duty. On this Army Day, let's salute our brave soldiers for their selfless service to the nation."
- "The soldier is the Army. No army is better than its soldiers. The Soldier is also a citizen. In fact, the highest obligation and privilege of citizenship are that of bearing arms for one’s country.
- "On Army Day, let us remember and honor the brave souls who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the nation. Their courage and valor will always be remembered."
- "A soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
- "The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men."
- "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech."
- "On this Army Day, let's express our gratitude to the real heroes who safeguard our borders and protect us day and night. Salute to the Indian Army!"
Use of AI this Army Day:
This year Army Day parade is set to be extraordinary as Artificial Intelligence will play a pivotal role in determining the 'Best Marching Contingent.' Major General Salil Seth shared that, for the first time, Artificial Intelligence will be employed to identify the most impressive marching contingent.
Explaining the process, Major General Seth highlighted the distinct patterns involved in the drill performances, such as the precise elevation of hands and legs and executing movements with weapons within specific timeframes.
The evaluation will involve capturing individual movements through cameras, and AI-powered computer software will assign scores for each movement. Human supervision will complement this AI-based assessment. The officer also mentioned that the military has conducted two to three practice sessions to refine the process.