ଓଡ଼ିଆ | ENGLISH
ଓଡ଼ିଆ | ENGLISH

Vande Mataram Row: Congress to Abide by 1937 Decision of Gandhi, Nehru and Patel, Says KC Venugopal

Congress MP KC Venugopal on Wednesday said the party's position on the recitation ofVande Mataramwas clear and that it would abide by the decision taken by Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in 1937.
Published By : Pradip Subudhi | August 19, 2026 10:57 PM
Vande Mataram Row: Congress to Abide by 1937 Decision of Gandhi, Nehru and Patel, Says KC Venugopal

New Delhi, August 19: Congress MP KC Venugopal on Wednesday said the party's position on the recitation ofVande Mataramwas clear and that it would abide by the decision taken by Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in 1937.

Speaking to reporters after the Congress Working Committee (CWC) meeting, Venugopal said bothVande Mataramand the National Anthem were matters of emotion for the Congress, while accusing the BJP of politicising the issue.

"There is no confusion about that. Today, we discussed this during the CWC. Our stand is very clear. In 1937, Mahatma Gandhi, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the topmost leadership of that time, whatever decisions they took, we will abide by those decisions," Venugopal said.

He said Congress workers would follow the party's decision and maintained that the recent controversy over the recitation ofVande Mataramat the party headquarters was the result of a communication gap.

"The Vande Mataram and National Anthem are emotional things for the Congress party. But it is political for the BJP. This is the difference between them and us," he said, adding that the matter had been closed.

The controversy erupted after video footage from the Congress headquarters showed party leaders Mallikarjun Kharge and Sonia Gandhi conversing while the national song was being rendered during Independence Day celebrations on August 15. The BJP subsequently accused the Congress leadership of disrespectingVande Mataramand demanded an apology.

Venugopal Raises OBC Census Issue

Venugopal also raised concerns over the absence of an OBC column in the census questionnaire, alleging that the move could weaken the caste census exercise.

He said Congress president Mallikarjun Kharge had already written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the issue and demanded clarity from the government regarding its intentions.

Congress Expands 'Chhatron Ki Goonj' Campaign

Congress leader Jairam Ramesh also briefed the media on issues discussed at the CWC meeting. He said the party'sChhatron Ki Goonjinitiative, which has already held programmes in Kota, Dehradun and Prayagraj, would now be expanded to 800 cities and towns.

Ramesh said another programme was scheduled in Pune on August 22 and that Congress leader Rahul Gandhi would personally participate in several events as part of the campaign.

He added that Rahul Gandhi and Kharge had directed four Congress chief ministers to submit reports within a month outlining reforms required in their respective states' education and examination systems.

Ram Mandir Trust Donations

On the issue of alleged irregularities involving donations to the Ram Mandir Trust, Ramesh said the matter was not restricted to Uttar Pradesh and called for a nationwide response.

"PM Modi must break his silence on this issue, and action must be taken, specifically, a Supreme Court-monitored inquiry," Ramesh said, adding that the Congress would launch a nationwide campaign over the allegations.

China, US and Haldwani Issues

Ramesh also said the CWC had expressed concern over what he described as the Modi government's "surrender" on issues involving China and the United States. He referred specifically to alleged Chinese encroachments in Arunachal Pradesh.

On the Haldwani "purification" controversy, Ramesh alleged that the incident violated the Constitution, humanity and the law. He demanded an apology from Prime Minister Narendra Modi and alleged that organisations associated with the BJP-RSS ecosystem were involved.

Congress Opposes Change in Lok Sabha Strength

Ramesh said the Congress believes the present strength of the Lok Sabha, 543 seats, should remain unchanged for the next 25 years. He also said the party wants the allocation of seats among states to remain unchanged during the period.

The CWC, he added, had demanded implementation of the one-third reservation for women within the existing 543-member Lok Sabha. He said the measure was enacted in September 2023 and notified on April 16, 2026.