Coimbatore, May 23: Tamil Nadu Police arrested two accused of abducting and murdering a 10-year-old girl in Coimbatore. A call for "strict action" was echoed across party lines as Chief Minister Vijay and Leader of Opposition Udhayanidhi Stalin condemned the incident.
The 10-year-old girl, who had been missing since Thursday evening, was found dead in Tamil Nadu's Coimbatore on Friday. The two accused have been sent into judicial custody.
Addressing a press conference in Coimbatore, IGP Bharathi said, "On May 21 at about 8:30 pm, information was received through the helpline that a 10-year-old girl who was playing outside her house had gone missing at about 5 pm. Immediately, the police personnel rushed to the spot, conducted an inquiry and registered a case regarding the missing child at about 10 pm. Five special teams were formed under the DSP Karumathampatti sub-division, Coimbatore district. Intensive search operations were undertaken to trace the missing child."
One of the accused was an acquaintance of the victim's family. The police examined the CCTV footage to get hold of the accused. Police have also invoked the POCSO Act as it suspects sexual assault against the minor.
The police official said, "Analysis of the CCTV cameras, footage in the nearby vicinity, and the technical evidence confirmed that one, Karthi, aged about 33 years, a native of Nagapattinam district, now settled in Coimbatore, and also a neighbour who is an acquaintance of the victim's family, had taken the missing child along with him. The accused Karthi, who was hiding on the first floor of Maria Rose Garden Apartments at Kannampalayam, was surrounded by the special police team. In an attempt to escape from the police, he jumped from upstairs, resulting in fractures in his right hand and right leg. He was arrested, and during the course of interrogation, the accused Karthi confessed that he had lured the child, sexually assaulted her and subsequently murdered her."
"Further investigation also revealed the involvement of another accused, namely Mohan, aged 30 years. He had allegedly assisted the main accused, Karthi. So he was arrested and remanded to judicial custody. The accused, Karthi, has been admitted to the Coimbatore Government Medical College Hospital for further treatment. As the case pertains to the assault of a minor child, the case is being altered to include the provisions of the POCSO Act, and stringent action is being undertaken," the IGP added.
The body of a girl was handed over to the family after post-mortem examination at the ESI Hospital mortuary.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay expressed deep anguish, calling it a "horrific incident" and directing the police to carry out a swift and thorough investigation into the case. In a post on X, the Chief Minister condemned the crime and assured strict action against those involved.
"The horrific incident that occurred yesterday to a 10-year-old girl in Coimbatore caused immense pain and shock. Such inhuman and unforgivable criminal acts can never be tolerated in our society. I share my deepest condolences with the relatives of the family of the little girl who is grieving the loss of their dear child," he said.
"Two culprits related to this case have been arrested. I have directed the police to conduct a thorough and expeditious investigation into the incident and to take all necessary actions to file the chargesheet immediately," the CM added.
Reiterating the government's stance on strict punishment, he said, "The Tamil Nadu government will firmly act to ensure that those who engage in such heinous acts against women and children receive severe punishment under the law. All immediate and necessary actions for this will be taken."
State Minister CTR Nirmal Kumar said, "It is very sad. Definitely, we want strict action to be taken. The Chief Minister has ordered to take action in this case."
Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) General Secretary Vaiko also condemned the abduction and murder of a 10-year-old girl, and demanded strict action in case from the state government.
In a statement, Vaiko demanded a law prescribing life imprisonment in such cases.
Udhayanidhi Stalin also expressed concern and said the people of the state are demanding strict punishment for those responsible for the crime. In a post on X, Udhayanidhi Stalin said the incident has triggered widespread shock and grief across Tamil Nadu and that citizens are seeking swift justice in the case.
"The incident of a 10-year-old girl being abducted and murdered in Coimbatore has caused immense shock and grief. The voice demanding true justice for this murder has echoed from all quarters," he wrote.
"Condemning this heinous incident that has sent shockwaves across India, the people of Coimbatore are staging a night-long protest. The real perpetrators of this barbaric act must be swiftly brought to severe punishment. In this hour of crisis, while conveying our condolences to the girl's parents, I also wish to assure them that the DMK stands by their side," the DMK leader added.
DMK spokesperson Saravanan Annadurai attacked the TVK government over the lack of safety of women, saying "dialogues cannot replace good governance."
Sarvanan Annadurai said, "CM Vijay came on the plank of women's safety. A 10-year-old girl has been picked up, kidnapped, and murdered. Where is women's safety? Punch dialogues cannot replace good governance. I think Vijay and the TVK party are slowly understanding this. They have to ramp up their governance skills. We want the people of Tamil Nadu to be safe. We are expecting a swift response. The Chief Minister is not meeting the press, and there is nobody else who is communicating with the press what is happening. Just reels cannot substitute governance."
Women's safety was a poll plank for the Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam as Vijay promised 'Rani Velu Nachiyar Force' and "zero-tolerance" towards crimes against women.
Expressing anger over the incident, the victim's mother demanded a response from the state leadership before receiving the body. Speaking to ANI, she said, "We will not take the body after post mortem from the mortuary untill we get any statement from the CM Joseph Vijay. We voted for change. Now he is not even giving a statement or assurance. This shows that there will be no change from the government, also."
Parents and relatives of the victim staged a protest on a National Highway near the Sulur Police Station, demanding justice.