ଓଡ଼ିଆ | ENGLISH
ଓଡ଼ିଆ | ENGLISH

SC Refuses To Order Disclosure Of SIT Report On Ram Mandir Donation Theft Probe

The Supreme Court on Monday said that the status report submitted by the Uttar Pradesh government on the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into alleged financial irregularities and misappropriation of donations received by the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust cannot be shared with the petitioners or made public at this stage.
Published By : Pradip Subudhi | August 17, 2026 5:03 PM
SC Refuses To Order Disclosure Of SIT Report On Ram Mandir Donation Theft Probe

New Delhi, August 17:The Supreme Court on Monday said that the status report submitted by the Uttar Pradesh government on the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe into alleged financial irregularities and misappropriation of donations received by the Shri Ram Janmabhoomi Teerth Kshetra Trust cannot be shared with the petitioners or made public at this stage.

However, the Court permitted the petitioners and other public-spirited persons to submit suggestions relating to the investigation to the office of the Solicitor General, which will place them before the SIT for consideration.

A Bench led by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant also directed the newly constituted SIT to submit a fresh status report on the next date of hearing.

“If you want to make any suggestions for the investigation, you may,” the Court told counsel appearing for the various petitioners.

The proceedings arise from a batch of petitions seeking an independent probe into alleged financial irregularities in the handling of donations received by the Ayodhya temple trust. The petitioners have sought a court-monitored investigation, including a CBI-led SIT and a forensic audit.

The Uttar Pradesh government had earlier constituted an SIT to examine the allegations. Subsequently, the Supreme Court constituted another SIT to investigate the matter, although the investigation is not being conducted under the Court’s direct monitoring.

On July 22, 2026, the apex court constituted the SIT to probe allegations concerning the alleged misappropriation of trust funds. It directed that the SIT be headed by an experienced Inspector General of Police and include a forensic expert.

The State government has since submitted a status report on the progress of the investigation. The Court, however, made it clear that the report could not be shared with the petitioners or any other person at this stage.

Clarifying the scope of the proceedings, the Bench said the SIT’s mandate was confined to investigating the FIR and that the present petitions would not extend beyond issues relating to the investigation.

“These pleas are about investigation. Nothing more we will entertain,” the Court observed.

The Nirmohi Akhada, through its counsel, sought a proper and thorough investigation into the allegations. Petitioner Satyam also sought disclosure of details regarding the donations received by the trust and their utilisation.

The Court said it was concerned about the manner in which donations were maintained and indicated that appropriate reforms could be considered. At the same time, it allowed all intervention applicants to assist the Court, while making it clear that any suggestions concerning the investigation must be routed through the office of the Solicitor General.

The matter will be taken up on the next date of hearing to be fixed by the Supreme Court.