Bhubaneswar, Sep 16: Scrub Typhus cases are up in Odisha. In the last 24 hours, seven new positive cases have been detected in Sundergarh district.
As per statistics till Saturday, one person has reportedly succumbed to the deadly infection, while the total number of cases in Sundergarh has increased to 169.
However, Sundergarh district authorities stated that there are enough stock of medicines and a special team of doctors has been constituted to attend to the patients. Besides, ANM and Asha workers have also been directed to spread public awareness about the deadly virus, authorities added.
Earlier, as fresh cases of Scrub Typhus and Leptospirosis diseases are being reported from various parts of Odisha, the Health & Family Welfare Department has directed the Chief District Medical Officers (CDMOs) and public health officers of all the districts including the Directors of Capital Hospital and Rourkela Government Hospital to intensify the surveillance for early diagnosis, treatment, prevention and management of the disease.
The district health authorities have been directed to ensure the following steps in their respective areas:
- Availability of test facilities in district public health units by procurement and supply of required test kits.
- Sensitize Doctors to advise for this test in cases of pyrexia of unknown origin.
- Increase public awareness and early diagnosis.
- Increase surveillance for Scrub typhus and Leptospirosis.
- Use of appropriate antibiotics and keep adequate stock of drugs.
- All deaths due to this disease should be investigated and necessary containment measures should be taken.
- Data pertaining to such diseases should be shared with the State surveillance unit regularly in the prescribed format.