Bhubaneswar, Nov 8: This year, Dhanteras, the occasion dedicated to celebrating wealth and prosperity, is scheduled for November 10. The term "Dhan" signifies wealth, and "Teras" denotes the thirteenth day. This marks the commencement of the five-day Diwali festival, known as Dhanatrayodashi.
As per the legends, during the Samundra Manthan, or churning of the sea, Goddess Lakshmi emerged from the ocean of milk. Dhanteras is considered one of the most auspicious days to acquire valuable items, believed to bring good fortune, success, and protection from malevolent influences.
Here's a list of auspicious purchases to consider for Dhanteras 2023 to attract luck and prosperity your way.
- Utensils: Refilling your kitchen utensil collection on Dhanteras is considered a symbol of success. Acquire brass, copper, silver, or clay kitchen utensils and use them to prepare Prasad. Hindu tradition prohibits bringing empty utensils on this day; fill them with lentils, rice, or milk.
- Electronic items: If you've been contemplating upgrading your phone, television, or other electronic devices, Dhanteras presents the perfect opportunity. Electronic showrooms are bustling from early morning to late at night on this day, and you can take advantage of Diwali sales to save money. So, stop pondering and invest in electronic items this Dhanteras.
- Jewelry: Investing in jewelry, particularly gold, is a timeless representation of wealth and success. Gold is an asset that can be relied upon during challenging times. Dhanteras and Diwali are among the most auspicious moments in India to purchase gold.
- Idols of gods and goddesses: Dhanteras offers an excellent chance to enhance your puja area with new god and goddess idols. Choose figurines made from brass, silver, marble, or wood, perform aarti, and add them to your puja room's collection.
- Broom: It might sound unusual, but purchasing a broom on Dhanteras is considered auspicious. Acquiring a broom symbolizes the removal of poverty from your home on this auspicious day, signifying the alleviation of financial concerns for your family.
- Gold and silver coins: Dhanteras is a day when people across the nation pay homage to "dhan" and Goddess Lakshmi, often represented by a one-rupee coin. Many businesses decorate their workplaces and offer reverence to Goddess Lakshmi. Consequently, gold and silver coins are highly sought after on this day.
- Gomti chakra: The Gomti chakra, a rare seashell found along the banks of the Gomati River, is considered sacred by devotees of Goddess Lakshmi and Hindu faiths. It can be used during Diwali puja and is essential to keep in your home and workplace to ward off the evil eye. Additionally, Gomti chakras support the overall success of your family.