Bhubaneswar, Aug 20: The Odisha government has issued a show-cause notice to Baitarani Power Projects Private Limited (BPPL) over alleged irregular operation of barrage gates during the recent flood situation in the Baitarani River.
According to officials, the company allegedly opened the barrage gates in an unregulated manner during peak and flash flood conditions without properly informing the authorities. The Water Resources Department has sought an explanation from the company and warned that strict action could follow if its response is found unsatisfactory.
Odisha Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) Rajesh Prabhakar Patil said the company had been issued a notice for releasing water without prior intimation. He said the government would decide on further action after examining the company's response.
Patil also clarified that the recent rise in water levels in several rivers was not solely attributable to the Baitarani Power Project. He said rainfall during the period was relatively limited, with Bhadrak's Bhandaripokhari recording around 33 mm of rainfall.
According to the SRC, the flood situation in the Baitarani River has been improving and the river is expected to return to normal soon, as the India Meteorological Department (IMD) has not forecast significant additional rainfall.
The situation in other major rivers is also improving. The Subarnarekha witnessed a rise in water levels at Rajghat during the early hours, but the level subsequently started falling rapidly. The Brahmani is also being regulated through the Rengali Dam, while the Salandi remains below its danger level. The Mahanadi is currently not facing a major flood threat despite 17 gates being open.
The government has maintained that the Baitarani Power Project must maintain proper coordination with the authorities and cannot operate its gates without following prescribed procedures and obtaining necessary government clearance.
Meanwhile, Panchayati Raj Minister Rabi Narayan Naik said the administration was taking steps to provide drinking water to people affected by floods. Water tankers are being deployed wherever reports of shortages are received, while halogen tablets are also being distributed to prevent water-borne diseases such as diarrhoea in flood-affected areas.
The Water Resources Department has also directed authorities to ensure that the barrage is emptied adequately ahead of severe flood conditions so that sudden downstream water-level rises can be avoided.
The development comes amid repeated flooding concerns along the Baitarani, with authorities now focusing on better coordination, regulated gate operations and advance flood management to minimise risks to downstream communities.