Bhubaneswar, August 20: Auto drivers involved in Wednesday’s protest in the city will be held responsible for the damage caused during the agitation and will be required to compensate for the losses, Urban Development Minister Krushna Chandra Mahapatra said.
Condemning the violence, Mahapatra described the incident as “inhuman” and accused the protesters of taking the law into their own hands. He said several members of the public were allegedly attacked and government vehicles were vandalised during the protest.
The minister said strict action would be taken against those involved in the violence, including cancellation of their driving licences. “They will not be forgiven,” he said.
The government is also considering demolishing illegal auto stands operated by auto drivers allegedly involved in the violence, Mahapatra said.
He added that the government would take steps to recover the losses caused during the incident from those responsible. Ensuring the safety and security of the general public is the government’s responsibility, the minister said.
Worth mentioning, Police have so far arrested 113 people in connection with the incidents, while more arrests are expected.
The accused have been booked under various provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), including Section 126 for wrongful restraint, Section 115 for voluntarily causing hurt and Section 109 for attempted murder. Provisions of the Prevention of Damage to Public Property (PDPP) Act have also been invoked for alleged damage to government property.
As part of the crackdown, police have seized 354 auto-rickshaws allegedly linked to the protesters. The seized vehicles have been kept at the Reserve Police Ground in Jayadev Vihar.
Meanwhile, the Transport Department is considering cancellation of permits of around 400 vehicles allegedly involved in unlawful activities. Notices will be issued to the respective vehicle owners, following which the process for cancellation of permits will be initiated.