Washington, DC, August 17: US President Donald Trump on Monday warned Oman against interfering in Washington’s position on the Strait of Hormuz, saying the United States would “bomb the s*** out of them” if Muscat got in the way of its efforts concerning the strategic waterway.
In a phone interview with Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst, Trump discussed the ongoing conflict with Iran as a 60-day memorandum of understanding signed in June, aimed at opening negotiations to end the war in West Asia, approaches its expiration.
Trump said Iran should “raise the white flag of surrender” but stressed that he was not working to a specific deadline.
“I’m not in a hurry,” the US President said.
Asked about parallel talks between Iran and Oman concerning control and navigation of the Strait of Hormuz, Trump issued a blunt warning: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s*** out of them.”
Trump also indicated that the US naval blockade was continuing to exert economic pressure on Iran, despite Tehran’s public statements disputing the impact of the measures. Describing the Iranians as “good poker players,” Trump said they were nevertheless “dying.” He also rejected suggestions that the US midterm elections in November were influencing his decisions.
The President further addressed the depletion of US weapons stockpiles in West Asia, saying that the weapons used by American forces so far amounted to “peanuts.” He said the US retained large quantities of mid-level weapons, while some of its more advanced systems had previously been supplied to Ukraine under former President Joe Biden, including air-defence equipment that he said was needed in the region.
Trump’s remarks come as Tehran and Muscat continue negotiations on a mechanism to ensure secure commercial navigation through the Strait of Hormuz. The two countries have reportedly finalised a joint shipping-route map for the strategic maritime corridor following weeks of technical discussions.
The talks are linked to an Iran-US memorandum of understanding that tasked Tehran and Muscat with developing a new navigation framework for the Strait of Hormuz.
Earlier on Monday, Iran said discussions with Oman on ensuring secure commercial navigation through the waterway were continuing. Tehran attributed delays to the complexity of the issue, the involvement of multiple parties and what it described as “destructive efforts” by hostile actors.
The Strait of Hormuz remains a critical global maritime route, making negotiations over its security and commercial navigation particularly significant amid escalating tensions between the United States and Iran.