Hyderabad, April 23: In yet another incident that raises concern over the safety features of electric vehicles, a man was killed and three others were injured after the battery of an electric two-wheeler exploded in their house in Andhra Pradesh today.
As per reports, the incident took place in Vijayawada when the deceased, identified as Shiva Kumar, had kept the battery of the electric vehicle on charging in his bedroom.
Thereafter, the battery exploded following which Shiva, his wife, and their two children sustained severe burn injuries.
Hearing their screams, neighbours rushed to their rescue and shifted them to a hospital, where Shiva Kumar succumbed to the injuries during treatment while the health condition of his wife is stated to be critical.
The victim had reportedly purchased the electric scooter on Friday. The name of the manufacturer and other details are awaited.
This is the second incident in the Telugu states in less than a week.
Earlier on April 19, an 80-year-old man was killed and two others were injured in Telangana’s Nizamabad district when the battery of an electric two-wheeler exploded.
The incident took place in a house where the battery was being charged.
In the incident, B. Ramaswamy died while his son B. Prakash and daughter Kamalamma sustained burn injuries when they tried to rescue him. They were admitted to a hospital.
Later, it was found that the electric vehicle was manufactured by Hyderabad-based company Pure EV.
Police registered a case under Indian Penal Code Section 304A (causing death due to negligence) against Pure EV and took up an investigation.
Pure EV issued a statement deeply regretting the incident and stating that it is cooperating with local authorities and seeking details from the user.
Three Pure EV scooters and electric vehicles of some other manufacturers caught fire in separate incidents in recent months.