Chatrapur, April 26: In a shocking incident, a man has allegedly set her niece on fire in an inebriated state in the Baidyanathpur locality of Ganjam district last night.
As per reports, the incident took place in the Bidya Nagar area under Baidyanathpur police limits when the accused, identified as Sipran Digal, returned home drunk. His sister was sitting outside the house while her daughter Gayatri was sleeping inside.
Thereafter, Sipran poured kerosene on Gayatri and set her on fire. Hearing her screams, Gayatri’s mother and neighbours rescued her and rushed her to a nearby hospital. She was later shifted to SCB Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack as her health condition showed signs of deterioration.
She has reportedly sustained 70% burn injuries.
The victim’s mother and the locals detained Digal and later handed him over to the police.