Bhubaneswar: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today imposed a fine of Rs 1 crore fine Central Electricity Supply Unity (CESU) after at least seven elephants were electrocuted after coming in contact with a live wire hanging dangerously low near Kamalanga village in Dhenkanal forest division on Friday night.
A a herd of 13 jumbos was passing through the village in Sadar Forest Range when seven of them got electrocuted by an 11kv line. The seven included five female elephants, a tusker and a calf. Their carcasses were found lying in a ditch early on Saturday morning.
Sources said the based on a media reports, the NGT slapped the fine directed an inquiry into the matter by a three-member NGT team.
After the mishap, Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) Sandip Tripathy issued a statement alleging that power distribution company Central Electricity Supply Utility (Cesu), an autonomous body under the state energy department, had not rectified sagging electric lines despite several pleas.
Meanwhile, the State Government has suspended six officials and sacked a junior engineer of the CESU for negligence.