Hyderabad, Jan 16: The historic British-era Secunderabad Club, which has been in existence since 1878, was completely destroyed following a massive fire in the wee hours of Sunday.
According to reports, a massive fire broke out at the 144-year-old edifice at around 3 am this morning. The club security then informed the fire officials about the incident.
Fire officials rushed to the spot with as many as 10 fire tenders and started dousing the flames.
It took about three to four hours to bring the flames under control. The entire club has been gutted to ashes in the mishap, said a fire official.
The fire officials also said that they had to struggle a lot to put out the fire due to the presence of a lot of combustible material in the premises. Several gas cylinders are also believed to have exploded in the fire.
It is suspected that the fire might have broken out due to short circuit. It began in the first floor and quickly spread to the remaining floors. The rapid spread of the fire is being attributed to the extensive use of wood in the heritage building.
However, it is estimated that the total loss due to the fire mishap is around Rs 20 crore.
Worth mentioning, Secunderabad Club is one of the five oldest clubs in India, the oldest club being the Bengal Club of Calcutta.
It was established on 26 April 1878 and was originally known as the Secunderabad Public Rooms. It is spread over 60,000 sq.ft and is made up of three floors.
The club has 8,000 members including military officers, bureaucrats, diplomats, police officials, professionals, scientists and businessmen.