Odisha News In English

Prameya English, Prameyanews.com, Odisha Latest News, Odisha News Online

BJD stages dharna near Raj Bhavan over change in SC scholarship funding pattern

24/11/2018 at 12:37 PM

Bhubaneswar: The BJD on Saturday stageed relay dharna near Raj Bhavan protesting against Centre’s decision to change the funding pattern of post-metric scholarship scheme for scheduled caste (SC) students.

The party was of the view that Centre’s decision to change the funding pattern would have an additional financial burden of Rs 238 crore on the State Government.

The protestors led by Finance Minister Sahsibhusan Behera, ST and SC Development, Minorities and Backward Classes Welfare Ramesh Chandra Majhi blasted the BJP-led NDA Government for revising the funding pattern.

Under the scheme, the Centre used to provide 90 per cent of fund while the remaining 10 per cent was borne by the State Government. But, from 2017-18 onwards, the Centre revised the funding pattern wherein the State Government has asked to bear 80 per cent of the total expenditure.

Accordingly, in 2017-18, the State Government provided Rs 238.28 crore while the Centre released its share of 20 per cent (Rs 35.12 crore) towards scholarship amount of SC students.

And the BJD is opposing the move.

   Related Posts