Bhubaneswar, Nov 16: If you believe that air pollution exclusively impacts humans, think again. As the air quality worsens in Delhi and its surrounding areas, it becomes crucial to also attend to the well-being of our animal companions. Pets, akin to humans, can experience various health issues due to poor air quality, including respiratory problems and allergies. The impact is particularly pronounced for pets with pre-existing respiratory conditions like bronchitis and asthma.
Furthermore, extended exposure to air pollution adversely affects the heart and circulatory system of pets, potentially leading to heart diseases. It can also cause irritation to their eyes and noses, resulting in infections and discomfort.
To safeguard your pets amid escalating air pollution, consider the following tips:
- Limit outdoor activities: Reduce the duration of your pet’s outdoor excursions, especially on days with poor air quality. Opt for early morning or late evening walks, as pollution levels are generally lower during these times.
- Prioritize good indoor ventilation: Ensure a safe and controlled indoor environment for your pets. Use exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens to expel indoor pollutants. Regularly use vacuum cleaners with HEPA filters to maintain a clean home free from dust particles.
- Hydration is key: Ensure your pets have constant access to clean and fresh water. Adequate hydration helps their bodies cope with the effects of pollutants.
- Enhance your indoor environment: Incorporate air-purifying indoor plants like snake plants and spider plants to improve air quality. Invest in a high-quality air purifier to trap particles such as dust, pet dander, and other pollutants, prioritizing clean air for both you and your furry friend.
- Pet-friendly cleaning products: Opt for products that are free from harsh chemicals. Many conventional cleaning products release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that contribute to indoor air pollution. Choose alternatives that are safer for your pets and the overall indoor environment.