Bhubaneswar, July 27: Doctors in the Burns and Plastic Surgery department of the IMS and SUM Hospital here have been able to successfully treat a young woman who had suffered 70 per cent burns following explosion in a cooking gas cylinder.
The 35-year-old woman, who hailed from Ramnagar area of Digha in West Bengal, suffered the burns while engaged in cooing and was rushed to the hospital in a critical condition on June 6. She had also inhaled the fumes which had affected her lungs.
“We had to conduct a tracheostomy as she was unable to breathe properly. She had to be put on the ventilator for 20 days before her condition showed improvement,” Dr. M. Lopamudra, Associate Professor in the department, under whose supervision she was treated, said.
Her condition improved slowly and she was able to walk following physiotherapy, she said adding she was discharged after 50 days of treatment in the hospital.