Bhubaneswar, May 27: In a rare procedure, a piece of magnet lodged in the left bronchus of a ten-year-old boy has been successfully removed by doctors at the Institute of Medical Sciences and SUM Hospital here.
The boy, son of Mr. Pramod Behera of Balianta near here, had accidentally swallowed the magnets, which found their way into the left lung obstructing the airway and endangering his life. Though the family took the boy to several health care centres, no solution could be found.
The boy was finally brought to IMS and SUM Hospital, faculty of medicine of the SOA Deemed to be University, where Dr. Radhamadhab Sahu, an expert in ENT and skull base surgery, conducted an endoscopic procedure using an optical forceps to extract the two magnets.
The procedure was not easy as it had to be completed within the limited time frame of a few minutes. The procedure was done safely within 5 minutes and 20 seconds and anaesthesist Dr. Swastika Swaro played an important role in this difficult procedure. Dr. Nistha Anand assisted Dr. Sahu in conducting the procedure. The boy has been doing well after undergoing the life saving procedure.