Balasore, 14/11: The district administration has sealed the prawn processing factory at Khantapara in Balasore district after the gas leak on Monday night in which more than 100 of its employees fell sick. Six of the plant supervisors have been detained by the police after the mishap.
Labour minister Susant Singh told the reporters at Bhubaneswar that a probe had been ordered into the mishap. Stringent action would be taken against the guilty persons after receipt of the inquiry report.
At about 8 pm on Monday night, poisonous gas leaked in the prawn processing plant at Khantapara, following which more than 100 of its employees, mostly young women and women, fell sick. They felt nausea and fell unconscious. The sick employees were rushed to nearby Khantapara community health centre and then shifted to Balasore district persons headquarter hospital for treatment.
Balasore district collector, SP, Chief District Medical Officer and other officials rushed to the spot and supervised arrangement for treatment of sick persons.