Nayagarh: A farmer was electrocuted to death after he accidentally came in contact with live wires at Khalamada village under Nuagaon police limits in Nayagarh district today.
The deceased was identified as Niranjan Pradhan.
According to sources, the incident took place when Pradhan was going to his farmland this morning. He came in contact with the live wires lying in the field and fell down on the spot. Other farmers working in nearby by fields rushed to the spot. By the time they reached, Niranjan died.
The villagers alleged that the negligence of the electricity department led to the death of the farmer and demanded adequate compensation for the kin of the deceased. They staged road blockade near the village to put pressure on the administration.