Balasore: Leakage of ammonia gas from a cold storage unit triggered panic among people at ITI Chhak in Balasore.
Sources said the toxic gas was leaked from the Jagannath cold storage located at the ITI Chhak. Under its impact, people residing in the gas leak affected areas, including women and children, complained of giddiness, vomiting and chest pain.
Protesting frequent leakage of the toxic gas, locals staged a road blockade near the ITI Chhak demanding immediate permanent solution to the crisis. Police managed to pacify the agitation.
Ammonia used in manufacturing, refrigeration and agriculture is a pungent, colourless and toxic gas which is also found in liquid form.
Meanwhile, the leakage was brought to control after fire personnel reached the spot and fix the problem.